Fremont County Courthouse
450 North 2nd Street
Lander, WY  82520
Phone Directory





Rural addresses that are assigned by the county are used by the 911 system to find you in case of an emergency. If your property doesn’t have an address, or has an incorrect address it can delay the arrival of help during an emergency. If you purchase rural property in Fremont County, you will need to contact the Planning Department to get a rural address (a.k.a. physical address or fire number) assigned to it. Even if you are buying property that has an already existing house or business on it, you should check with the Planning Department to make sure there is an address assigned to it. If you are planning to build on your property, be aware that some utility services will not install stubs/lines of service to your property unless you have a rural address, so it is best to get your address early on in the building process to prevent potential construction delays.

Getting an address:

Getting a rural address is easy! All that is needed to obtain an address is to fill out the Rural Address Request Form (located above), pay the appropriate fee for a new rural address and accurately locate the parcel of land that will have the rural address. Some of the things that are helpful in pinpointing a specific parcel are:

  • A screenshot of the parcel and adjacent properties indicating where the proposed driveway will be located. GIS/Map Server, located on the Fremont County website homepage, is available for use.
  • A copy of a survey, deed or plat map with indicated location for the driveway. This is a requirement for all addressing on tribal land located on the Wind River Reservation.
  • Assessor GEO PIN Number.


Once you are assigned an address by the Planning Department, you will receive red and white reflective numbers and an aluminum plate. Attach the numbers to the plate and place the address plate on a pole or post at the driveway where you would access your property. Do not put your address on your house or other structures on your property. Even reflective numbers are difficult to see if the structure is behind trees, set back off the road, or oriented toward a view rather than the road. The reflective quality of the numbers fade over time due to exposure to the sun. It is the property owner’s responsibility to replace these numbers when they begin to fade. Replacement numbers can be purchased from the Planning Department or your local hardware store.

Fremont County Government | 450 North 2nd Street | Lander, WY  82520
website design by: Wyolution